In recent years, Atlanta’s booming film industry has begun rivaling Hollywood as a hub for film production. With this boom has also come an increased demand for short-term production housing. However, as part of the “growing pains” of a burgeoning industry, the challenge of finding temporary housing for production teams isn’t always cut-and-dried. What if your film budget doesn’t allow for enough hotel rooms? What if there aren’t enough rooms available during a shoot? What about commutes — how do you keep your team close enough to the set to arrive on time while avoiding heavy traffic arteries? How do you keep your team comfortable during film shoots that last for several months? To help you navigate these uncertain waters, we’ve put together a quick guide to temporary film production lodging in Atlanta.
Overview of Housing Options
If you’re trying to find enough housing for your Atlanta film cast and crew, there are generally three approaches you can take:
- Booking hotel rooms — This is the most expensive option, and probably the least comfortable for extended stays. However, it may be your most logical choice for shorter film shoots that require easy booking and stays for a week or less.
- Using an online rental platform (e.g., Airbnb) — Using this option, you can often find fully furnished homes and apartments, sometimes available for extended stays. While this option can be cheaper or at least comparable to hotel stays, it can often feel like looking for a needle in a haystack to find the right fit for an entire crew of people — and many production teams don’t have the time to figure out all those details.
- Booking short-term corporate housing using a local agency — This option enables you to book fully furnished apartments versus a hotel room, usually for a fraction of the cost. Corporate housing can be especially convenient and economical for shoots lasting longer than a month.
The option you choose will depend on a number of factors, including your budget, length of shoot, size of your crew and how much time your staff has to make travel arrangements for all of them. For more on choosing the best option, check out this guide to short-term rentals for Atlanta film professionals.
Another angle to consider when making housing arrangements for a film crew is how to coordinate everyone and everything logistically. For example:
- How do you arrange lodging that is either close to the set or along a convenient travel route?
- What are your budgetary restrictions?
- What about availability of housing? If you’re bringing in a large team for an extended length of time, how do you ensure there are enough available rooms for the entire shoot?
- What about doubling/tripling up? Are there certain crew members who could bunk together as roommates? Are there any who can’t be put in the same lodging?
If all of these details seem overwhelming, you’re not alone. Many film projects struggle with working out all these details when their time and money would be better spent actually shooting the film! For more guidance on these issues, check out these tips for choosing film crew housing.
Working with a Corporate Housing Partner
Among the film production housing options in Atlanta, corporate housing proves to be a viable option for many film shoots, especially those lasting for more than a few weeks. By working with a corporate production housing partner like TP Corporate Lodging, you can streamline a lot of the logistical details because the housing partner makes those arrangements on your behalf. A local housing partner can arrange for comfortable, convenient lodging for even larger production teams — for months at a time, if necessary — saving you not only money but time and headaches, as well.
If you need to arrange temporary lodging for your film crew in Atlanta, TP Corporate Lodging can make this challenge much easier and cost-effective. Give us a call at 800.428.9997 to learn more.